Indianapolis Attorneys For Product Liability Cases
What Is Product Liability?
Product designers, manufacturers, and distributors have a responsibility to create and sell products that are reasonably safe for consumers to use. In fact, this responsibility means that when a product is unreasonably dangerous and/or defective, the product designer, manufacturer, or distributor can be held legally accountable. This is known as product liability.
Defective Product Cases
Product liability law is a broad category which encompasses a wide range of cases under its umbrella. Garau Germano, P.C., attorneys are experienced in handling all types of product liability cases, including:
- Dangerous pharmaceutical drugs
- Defective medical devices
- Automotive defects
- Tools and machinery
- Dangerous toys and children’s products
Types Of Product Defects
Generally speaking, a defective product can fall under one of three categories:
- Defective design
- Defective manufacturing
- Defective marketing
In some cases, a product may be defective in multiple ways, meaning it falls under several categories. This is important, as the type of defect a product has typically pointed to the responsible party.
The three main types of product defects are:
- Defective design: A product that has a defective design is one that was designed in such a way as to make it unreasonably unsafe for regular use. For example, a type of car tire that shreds easily at high speeds may be considered to have a design defect.
- Defective manufacturing: Manufacturing defects occur when an error is made during the production process. Manufacturing defects only affect certain products in a batch, rather than the entire line. Pharmaceutical drugs that become contaminated during production is an example of defective manufacturing.
- Defective marketing/labeling: Defective marketing/labeling refers to a product’s safety warnings, instructions, and other necessary labels. For instance, everyone knows that a chainsaw is inherently dangerous. However, warning labels protect the designer and manufacturer from liability in most cases. Failure to equip a product with such labels could be considered defective marketing/labeling.
Get Help With Your Case
At Garau Germano, P.C., we represent clients who have been injured or who have lost loved ones due to all kinds of defective products, including medical devices, pharmaceutical drugs, household products, heavy machinery, electronics, and more. Our Indianapolis product liability attorneys can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.