If you are one of the many first-time parents in Indiana, chances are you have already begun thinking about what your baby will look like, if the baby is a boy or girl, what color you should paint the nursery and what kinds of activities he or she will enjoy as they get older. You have probably also started learning about the process of childbirth and what to expect when it is time for you to go to the hospital. At Garau Germano PC, we are familiar with the risks and complications that can sometimes arise when a baby is born.
While a vast majority of birth injuries are not life-threatening, they can alter the quality of life for your child. Fortunately, there are proactive steps you can take to gain confidence and peace of mind in anticipation of having your baby. According to Genius Pregnancy, some of the things you can do include the following:
- Track your baby’s movements in your belly to determine that he or she is healthy and active.
- Be educated about the potential risks you and your baby may encounter during pregnancy and childbirth such as preeclampsia, high blood pressure, and HIV infection among others.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions or voice your concerns when you meet with your OBGYN.
- Take your time to find an OBGYN who you trust and are comfortable working with.
- Understand the birthing process and take advantage of classes that are designed to help you learn more about childbirth.
By incorporating these actions into your preparation to become a new parent, you may feel more confident about making decisions regarding your baby’s care, as well as ensuring his or her health during childbirth. For more information, if your child has been injured during delivery, visit our web page.