Ashley Hadler focuses her law practice representing survivors and families affected by nursing home abuse, sexual abuse, and medical malpractice. Ashley handles cases throughout Indiana and Illinois. She grew up in Greensburg, Indiana and attended college and law school in Indiana. After law school, Ashley lived in Chicago where she represented victims of nursing home negligence and medical malpractice against some of the largest hospitals and nursing home chains in the Midwest.
She returned to Indianapolis in 2017 to continue helping people who were injured by abuse, neglect, and malpractice. Before joining Garau Germano, P.C. Ashley was a partner an Indianapolis law firm where she played a key role in developing a Sexual Abuse litigation team representing survivors in civil cases and providing free legal education to the public and other attorneys.
Her background in science, psychology, and health law enables her to uniquely handle cases involving clients who have suffered from trauma, have complex medical issues, or are elderly. She understands the issues faced by children or adults who are injured in places they live, where they are educated, where they are coached, or where they receive medical treatment.
Ashley often speaks to group of attorneys, victim advocates, and survivors of abuse to discuss the legal options available to survivors and their families. She knows how to investigate potential people or businesses that may be held accountable for abuse and how to find sources of compensation available to assist survivors in the path to overcoming and rebuilding after abuse.
Ashley’s clients range in age from children to the elderly. She has experience handling sexual abuse and assault cases that happened in a church or religious organization, in residential care facilities, at daycare, at school, and in organized sports. As a woman, wife, daughter, sister, and friend, Ashley brings an important female perspective to litigating civil abuse and neglect cases.
Ashley is an active member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, and the American Association for Justice. She is a volunteer guardian for the Indianapolis Center for At Risk Elders (CARE) and an active member of the National Crime Victims Bar Association and Prevent Child Abuse Indiana Advisory Board. She lives in downtown Indianapolis with her husband, Kent, and her bulldog, Layla.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Sexual Abuse & Sexual Assault
- Medical Malpractice
- Indiana, 2011
- Illinois, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2018
- Indiana University McKinney School of Law, 2011
- DePauw University, B.A., Biology, 2006
- Representation of the Frankel family for the abuse of their late husband/father at the hands of a local assisted living facility, 2019: https://www.theindychannel.com/news/call-6-investigators/family-claims-elderly-father-died-after-being-abused-at-greenwood-nursing-home
- Representation of a local family whose elderly family member was sexually abused at her Residential Living Facility, 2019:https://www.theindychannel.com/news/call-6-investigators/family-claims-convicted-killer-sexually-abused-elderly-woman-while-working-at-carmel-nursing-home
- $5.75 mil settlement on behalf of a child who suffered injury at birth due to physician and hospital staff negligence, 2018
- $1.4 million settlement for her client who developed a pressure sore at an Illinois nursing home
- $835,000 settlement for an Illinois nursing home resident who suffered a severe sacral pressure sore and the development of contractures due to the negligence of two separate nursing facilities. Ashley was responsible for liability and treating physician depositions and attended mediation on behalf of her clients in this matter.
- $550,000 medical malpractice settlement for a physician’s failure to diagnose prostate cancer for a period of fourteen (14) months despite critical PSA laboratory values.
- $450,000 settlement on behalf of the family of a nursing home drowning victim. Ashley’s client was allowed to be unattended in a whirlpool bathtub where he was later found unresponsive.
- $3.5 million settlement on behalf of her client who was voluntarily admitted to a Chicago psychiatric hospital due to suicidal ideations and allowed access to hazardous cleaning chemicals which he ingested causing catastrophic and severe esophageal injuries. Ashley was instrumental in winning a Motion to add punitive damages in this case and bringing it to settlement.
- $725,000 settlement on behalf of an Illinois nursing home resident who suffered a preventable fall resulting in a hip fracture and the development and deterioration of a sacral pressure sore.
- $460,000 Nursing Home Sexual Abuse settlement for the adult child of a nursing home rape victim. The resident was sexually assaulted by another nursing home resident due to the facility’s failure to properly supervise and monitor the perpetrator.
- $950,000 settlement on behalf of a Chicago nursing home resident who suffered a fall and femur fracture resulting in immobility, malnutrition, dehydration and the development and deterioration of pressure sores.
- $750,000 settlement for the family of a seventy (70) year old woman who was killed as a passenger in a head-on collision.
- $500,000 settlement for a child victim attacked by a police dog who suffered permanent facial scarring.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, PRESENTATIONS, & WRITINGS:
- Presenter, ’’Sexual Abuse Litigation: Calculating and Maximizing Damages,” Mass Torts Made Perfect, 2019
- Presenter, “Sexual Abuse in Residential Facilities,” Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2019
- Author, “Civil Sexual Abuse Litigation: A Guide for Survivors,” 2019
- Presenter, “Forensic Science Fundamentals for Attorneys,” National Business Institute, 2019
- Panelist, “Working with Physically and Emotionally Traumatize Clients in Your Legal Practice,” Indianapolis Bar Association, 2018
- Panelist, “College and Church Sexual Assault Litigation,” Mass Torts Made Perfect, 2018
- Speaker, “Profits Over People-Spotting Issues of Neglect in Long Term Care Cases,” Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2018
- Presenter, “Trial of the Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Case,” National Business Institute, 2018
- Presenter, “Mechanics of a Nursing Home Fall Case,” Levin & Perconti In-House Continuing Legal Education, 2016
- Presenter, "Proving Your Case through Written Discovery", National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, 2016
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Indiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018-2020
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015-2017
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyer, 2015
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- American Association for Justice—Nursing Home, Child Sexual Abuse and Sexual Assault Litigation Groups
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- National Crime Victim’s Bar Association
- Prevent Child Abuse Indiana Advisory Board
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT:
- Center for At Risk Elders Volunteer Guardian
- National Crime Victim’s Bar Association, Civil Justice Institute, Panelist
- Prevent Child Abuse Indiana, Advisory Board Member
- Families First of Indiana, ‘Give a Wrap, Volunteer
- Decatur County Cheer Fund, Volunteer